Director, Training and Commercial Effectiveness
Wellesley, MA (Hybrid)
Role reports to
Vice President, Commercial Operations
Shield is a commercial stage specialty pharmaceutical company with a focus on addressing iron deficiency with its lead product Accrufer®/Feraccru® (ferric maltol). The Group has launched Accrufer® in the US. Feraccru® is commercialized in the UK and European Union by Norgine B.V., who also have the marketing rights in Australia and New Zealand. Shield also has an exclusive license agreement with Beijing Aosaikang Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd., for the development and commercialization of Accrufer® / Feraccru® in China, Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan, with Korea Pharma Co., Ltd. in the Republic of Korea, and with KYE Pharmaceuticals Inc. in Canada.
Accrufer®/Feraccru® (ferric maltol) is a novel, stable, non-salt based oral therapy for adults with iron deficiency, with or without anemia. Accrufer®/Feraccru® has a novel mechanism of action compared to other oral iron therapies and has been shown to be an efficacious and well-tolerated therapy in a range of clinical trials. More information about Accrufer®/Feraccru®, including the product label, can be found at: www.accrufer.com and www.feraccru.com.
Role Description Summary
Reporting to the Vice President, Commercial Operations, the Director of Training and Commercial Effectiveness is responsible for developing all training programs and delivering operational support to the customer facing roles. This will include disease state, product/therapeutic landscape knowledge, compliance (OIG), and other commercialization processes and systems. The incumbent will need to collaborate across Medical, Marketing, Sales, Market Access, Legal, People and Culture, Regulatory and other Partner Organizations.
- Develop a sales training continuum for customer facing teams to ensure consistency in disease state and product knowledge.
- Design, develop and implement a Leadership Development program that will helps build an individual's leadership skill and capacity to excel, both personally and professionally, in their current roles within our organization and to build a bench of talent that can assume potential expanded roles in the future, through focus on needed leadership competencies. .
- Lead training and collaboration efforts/initiatives with co-promote partner.
- Develop the training plan and leadership development training for Area Sales Trainers who will be peer-to-peer trainers with their colleagues within the sales team.
- Establish goals and learning objectives to design appropriate and effective curriculum, leveraging principles of adult learning, and incorporate required regulatory and legal compliance requirements.
- Lead the development of product/non-product training modules.
- Collaborate with Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) to create the appropriate learning content for the respective customer facing role.
- Liaise with home office/field management about the development and delivery of training material.
- Participate in the selection and implementation/deployment of technologies to be used by the field-force to increase efficiency, effectiveness and determine the best way to train team.
- Lead and coordinate new hire onboarding and training programs for customer facing teams.
- Develop capability assessments of commercialization efforts, and design training and development programs to address gaps and needs.
- Identify, evaluate, and manage vendors to support training and operational needs.
- Document and maintain proper records of training initiatives.
- Collaborate with the administration of the Medical, Legal, & Regulatory (MLR) process to identify the training requirements and the delivery of material for use.
- Lead the development of the Learning Management System (LMS) partnering closely with Compliance, Commercial and Human Resources
- Lead efforts in Company meeting planning and execution, including site and production vendor selection, agenda creation, workshop development and delivery as well as overall meeting facilitation, at time in partnership with our collaboration sales partner.
- Partner with Sales Management and People and Culture to develop and administer sales force development plans and performance evaluations.
- Perform additional responsibilities and participate in special projects as assigned.
Required Skills & Experiences
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- 8+ years’ experience in a commercial role within a pharma or biotech company and at least 3 years in a sales/product training focused role.
- Previous Experience in building a sales training continuum for a life science company.
- Demonstrated experience with best-in-class means of training delivery including eLearning, self-study, assessment, audio/video, classroom, and experiential learning to ensure the sales force is trained and can deliver the attributes of our products.
- Strong interpersonal, presentation and facilitation skills required.
- Previous field sales experience is strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated success in managing numerous projects simultaneously.
- Ability to challenge the thinking of an established customer facing team.
- Requires 25 - 40% travel.