Head of Market Access, Pricing and Distribution
Role reports to
Chief Commercial Officer
Shield is a commercial stage, pharmaceutical company with a focus on addressing iron deficiency with its lead product Feraccru® /Accrufer® (ferric maltol), a novel, stable, non-salt based oral therapy for adults with iron deficiency with or without anemia.
Role Description Summary
As a member of the commercial leadership team reporting directly to the Chief Commercial Officer, the Head of Market Access, Pricing and Distribution will be responsible for developing the market access strategy and execution and ensure related objectives are achieved. This role will provide strategic leadership and direction for payer access, coverage, reimbursement, patient support services, pricing and distribution, list and net pricing and contracting across all payer types, as well as other intermediaries important to reimbursement and access. He/she will work with our co-promote partner to utilize existing shared resources and for the future, design, build and lead a high functioning Market Access team/infrastructure.
Demonstrated expertise, experience, and relationships with Commercial and Medicaid payers and PBMs will be critical as these are key segments of our business. This leader should also have a keen understanding of product distribution options as he/she will be responsible for both direct and indirect channels within the Trade function.
The Head of Market Access, Pricing and Distribution will work with our commercialization partner to develop and execute our market access and distribution strategy. They will be responsible for ensuring that we develop the right blueprint for our brand to be successful while managing our GTN impacts for optimal profitability.
- Construct the US market access strategy including integration into all corporate planning processes and documents, ensuring cross-functional alignment for the commercial launch including payer strategies, pricing, reimbursement, patient services, value proposition and messaging.
- Build robust and differentiating value propositions and messages based on comprehensive understanding of the brand positioning relative to the US competitive landscape.
- Develop the product-specific toolkits, including the MA strategy and payer value proposition, potential alternative contracting models, and payer objection handler for dissemination to the field teams.
- Develop specific market segment pricing and contracting strategies including the ongoing assessment and adaptation of strategies to ensure an optimal balance of revenue, volume, margin and access across the brand.
- Advise executive management on key access policies and reimbursement practices/requirements affecting corporate objectives, quantify risks and opportunities, and make recommendations for action.
- Be the steward of US pricing policies, challenging, and supporting price expectations, assisting in the business case process (inclusive of governance), and communicating recommendations to leadership.
- Support and enhance the development of clinical and economic evidence to optimize pricing and reimbursement.
- Lead Government Pricing process to ensure compliance with all federal/state regulations.
- Collaborate with Finance to manage and communicate Gross to Net for the brand.
- Monitor trends and developments to proactively identify needs and actions to support the value proposition of our portfolio across a multitude of payer environments including commercial, Medicare and Medicaid
- Responsible for coordinating with National and Regional planning teams to ensure consistency and rigor in planning deliverables.
Required Skills & Experiences
- 10+ years’ experience in the Pharmaceutical / Biotechnology industry with primary experience in US Market Access leadership positions
- BA/BS degree in related field like Business, Finance or Marketing. MBA a plus.
- In-depth understanding of pricing, contracting, health care systems, payer trends/strategies, market access pathways and experience with National Health plans and PBMs in the U.S. is required.
- Expert level understanding of the commercial, regulatory, and legal environment in the pharmaceutical industry and demonstrated integrity and ethics on work-related compliance considerations is required.
- Product launch market access experience
- Prior experience leading as an operational budget holder with vendor management experience.
- Strong strategic thinking skills, ability to scenario plan, and devise strategic options beyond the scope of traditional industry frameworks and practices.
- Knowledge around Out of Pocket costs and Co-pay assistance modeling
- Understanding of impacts associated with value-based contracting, ASP and Medicaid best price.
- Proven track record of authentic leadership and followership and managing without direct authority.
- Proven track record identifying product advantages in the context of market requirements and turning them into impactful value propositions.
- Prior experience working in a small specialty pharma business is preferred.
- Role requires 20% of domestic travel.