Medical Science LiaisonApply
Shield Therapeutics is a global specialty pharmaceutical company focusing on the development and commercialization of late-stage pharmaceuticals that address commercially attractive unmet medical needs.
The Company’s key products are Accrufer®, for the treatment of iron deficiency (ID) in patients with or without anaemia and PT20 (a late-stage pharmaceutical) for the treatment of systemic phosphate accumulation (otherwise known as hyperphosphatemia).
Shield Therapeutics is looking for an experienced Medical Science Liaison (MSL) to support territories in the Northeast and Midwest.
Shield Therapeutics aims to:
- Be patient-centric as it is they who that are at the heart of why we do what we do;
- Operate ethically at all times;
- Be product focused by maintaining our track record of identifying value-creating assets;
- Provide co-workers with significant freedom to operate within their areas of responsibility and encourage them to positively input into operations with a wider jurisdiction;
- Build relationships both internally and externally as strong teams deliver success
- Seek to continuously develop individually and as an organization to ensure we are effective and have a determination to succeed.
Role Description Summary
The Medical Science Liaison (MSL) team in conjunction with senior leadership will integrate their individual and collective scientific expertise and knowledge in all interactions and ensure compliant and successful scientific communication and education in disease states of interest to the Company.
The Medical Science Liaison position reports to the VP of Clinical and Medical Affairs and works closely with the Executive Director of Medical Affairs as well as with colleagues across the Commercial organization to, in part, support the launch of company products into the marketplace and to secure the company’s presence in the designated therapeutic areas. Internally, the cross-functional nature of the role requires close alignment with the Medical Affairs, Commercial, and Clinical Development groups. Externally, the MSL will establish and maintain scientific and clinical relationships with medical professionals, researchers, payer groups, and other members of the scientific community in alignment with a therapeutic area of focus.
- The principal effort of the MSL will be focused on planning, preparing for, and conducting field-based interactions and scientific exchange in support of the therapeutic area (TA) Scientific Objectives (SOs). Specific aspects are listed below:
- Identify, establish, and maintain scientific relationships with key opinion leaders (KOLs, i.e., external experts) regarding disease-state and product-specific information
- Provide field-based scientific exchange and communication of FDA-approved and pipeline products, specifically acting as a scientific resource to Health Care Providers (HCPs) to reactively answer specific questions on TA, disease state topics, products, and providing disease state education on topics related to TA Scientific Objectives
- Educate payers (health plans, Medicare, Medicaid), key decision makers (P&T committee members, KOLs, pharmacists), agents (specialty pharmacy, GPO, and PBMs); differentiate products based on clinical (efficacy & side effect profiles) and economic data to support formulary decisions
- Facilitate scientific development of pipeline compounds at research centers, supporting the clinical operations organization, as needed
- Serve as primary liaison with investigators interested in developing and performing investigator-initiated research (IIR)
- Document and forward reports of adverse events according to the Company’s policy to ensure safe and effective use of the company’s products
- Receive and respond to Medical Information requests, within the MIR system, to address MI inquiries using standard responses in a fair balanced manner
- Attend and provide scientific support of Medical Affairs activities and scientific sessions at regional and national congress meetings
- Develop and prioritize solutions to problems, ability to understand the relationship between actions and results and appreciate the needs of customers
Required Skills & Experience
- Must have 3+ years of previous direct MSL experience (Bio Pharma experience preferred)
- MSL: Master’s degree (PA, NP, MSN/RN,) required, advanced medical scientific degree (PharmD, PhD, DVM, DO, or MD) a plus.
- Ability to understand and effectively communicate scientific data to both internal and external customers, including key external experts and managed care organizations
- Thorough understanding of applicable federal and state regulatory requirements for field-based scientific personnel relating to dissemination of scientific information required
- Working knowledge of US health care systems is required
- Demonstrated ability to develop trust and relationships with KEEs in disease states of interest
- Collaborative, team-based approach; ability to network and partner with internal and external stakeholders, including commercial and R&D partners, medical experts, academic institutions, large group practices, managed care organizations, medical directors and pharmacy directors in institutional practices
- Willingness to continuously expand medical, scientific, market, and industry knowledge
- As necessary, ability to work evenings and weekends to attend congress sessions, meeting with industry colleagues, etc.
- Ability and willingness to travel up to 60%
- Excellent written and oral English communication skills using common business technologies (i.e. Microsoft (MS) Word, PowerPoint, MS Teams, SmartSheets, and MS Excel)
Additional Professional Requirements:
- Excellent collaboration, influencing, and communication skills required
- Experience working within a matrix environment is desired
- Must have a valid U.S driver’s license and a clean driving record
- Ability to use field-based electronic or other communication tools for all aspects of job, as required
- Initiative and execution-oriented
- Strong planning and organizational skills
- Strong ethics with good attention to detail
- High emotional intelligence
- Willingness and ability to be flexible and adapt strategies based on data and feedback
To request a full detailed job description please apply below*